Monday, January 31, 2011

Raindrops on Roses, Whiskers on Kittens...

Yes, I've been climbing out of a pit of discouragement for the past couple of days.  In the wake of the news about the big-money organic companies, Whole Foods Market, Stonyfield Farms and organic Valley, and their public statement that they will no longer fight the use of Monsanto's round-up ready alfalfa being mass-used across the nation, I have had to do a lot of attitude-lifting.  All this can seem so overwhelming.  Money talks.  There is a thorough account of the situation here. And also, as I have just seen written today an article by the CEO of Stonyfield in the Huffington Post.  How did I miss the USDA agreeing last November to the widespread use of this alfalfa?  (I am still stinging from the fact that this slipped by me without even one single e-mail to the government!)  According to the CEO of Stonybrook, they fought for an outright ban on the GE crops until the USDA removed outright ban as an option and were forced to choose between "co-existence" and deregulation.  Who knows what's really happening.

Unfortunately, even concentrating on the lovely parts of life aren't distracting me from my despair.  However, (and this is a huge however!) there are still things we can do.  Here is my list:

Shop at local stores, green markets, join a CSA (Link to JustFood) (link to localharvest).

If it does turn out that Whole Foods, Stonyfield and Organic Valley have acted in the interest of their bank accounts.  Boycotting Whole Foods Market, Stonyfield and Organic Valley immediately. (I already get my milk from a local farmer and I don't really shop at Whole Foods at all because I'd rather support my local tiny shop which carries organics...but I do get my butter from Organic Valley...I'll need to find a local butter pronto and it will hurt my pocketbook because Ronnybrook's butter costs a lot more.)

Writing a letter to the CEO of Whole Foods Market.  Here is a link to John Mackey's blog.


This is all I can come up with at the moment.  I'll be adding to this list as time goes on.

Let your money speak, even if you are on a tight budget, it is perhaps worth it to forego a larger amount of a product and buy a local variety?  (I'm obviously thinking of my butter at the moment, but perhaps I need to just use a little less.)

No comments:

Post a Comment