Thursday, January 13, 2011

2011 International Year of Forests

from http://www.focs.ca/logging/oldgrowth.asp
I've just learned that the UN has declared 2011 as the International Year of Forests.  This news brought joy to my heart!  They have a calendar on their website which lists the various meeting which will be held all year to discuss this most important topic of Forests.  I am really looking forward to see Gaia's people awaken this year.

We live near a forested park which is part of the NY Parks Department.  She is the gold of this neighborhood and I cannot imagine our lives without her.  Here, in a world of traffic, exhaust, pavement and steel-structured buildings, our forest is home to hundereds of tree species, a haven to migrating and local birds.  When I walk through her trails I can smell deep woodsy earth, and her soil rich and full of humus.   As hundreds of trucks barrel their way down union turnpike, spewing out their exhaust on their way to other parts of the city, her trees inhale the carbon monoxide and exhale pure fresh oxygen for us to breathe.

Yes, I am grateful for The International Year of Forests.

No comments:

Post a Comment